What is winterization - Winterization involves the preparation for an upcoming winter. This process involves the draining and sealing of pipes so that water does not freeze inside the pipes. If not performed correctly, pipes may burst or break.
How is a property winterized -
1) Gas and/or electricity should be turned off for the boiler and the water heater.
2) All plumbing and heating systems must be drained.
3) Air pressure must be used to clear the system of water.
4) Anti-freeze must be added to all fixtures.
5) Water supply must be shut off by closing the main shut off valve.
6) Water meter must be disconnected from the cradle and left on the premises.
7) The feed pipe that leads to the main water valve must be disconnected, plugged, or capped.
8) All winterized items must be tagged or labeled with date of winterization and preferably the company that performs the winterization.